Covid Policy

Covid Policy

Updated 11/02/2022.

We want you to have a fantastic campervan or motorhome holiday but we realise that plans can be affected by covid – whether that’s a positive test or government enforced rules.

That’s why we have our flexible covid policy below to give you peace of mind when you make a booking direct with us. (Please note that bookings via a third party, for example Goboony or Camptoo are out of our control and are governed by the terms and conditions of the website you booked on.)

If you or a member of your party travelling in the vehicle either tests positive for covid or is directed to self isolate befaore the commencement of your holiday, and the isolation period will overlap and part of your booked dates then you can:

  1. Rearrange your holiday to another date free of charge, subject to a suitable vehicle being available for those dates. Where the price for the new dates is lower than the price paid we will refund the difference less a £25 administration fee, and a minimum holiday cost of £250. Where the price for the new dates is higher than already paid, the additional amount must be paid to confirm the amended booking.
  2. If you prefer to, or need to, following a positive test or a UK-wide government travel restriction, cancel the booking entirely before the rental period begins we will refund 80% of the booking cost. The remaining 20% can be used a credit for a future booking where the booking period begins within 12 months of the date of the original booking. Once the rental period has begun we will be unable to refund any money.

Please note that this is for journeys within the UK. We regret that we are unable to offer refunds where travel restrictions abroad affect your travel plans – you may need to rearrange your destination. We also recommend that you take out suitable travel insurance to cover your needs.

We hope this helps and provided some reassurance that we will do what we can to make sure you have a great campervan or motorhome holiday!