All vehicles are hired under our Self Drive Hire Insurance. The insurers insist on the following terms to provide cover. It is an absolute requirement for hire that the terms below are met in full. Vehicles cannot be released without all of the appropriate and correct paperwork. This is non-negotiable – it is illegal to drive the vehicles without insurance cover.
- Driver(s) age 25 to 75 with minimum 2 years full UK licence.
- Copy of photo driving licence is required along with DVLA licence check for each driver. This must have an up to date current address. Each driver must come in person to collect the vehicle and bring their licences which we will need to take copies of.
- An online DVLA licence check will be needed for all UK licenses. This must be done no more than three days before the commencement of the hire. You can carry out the check here.
- Please email us the last 8 digits of your driving licence number, plus the check code generated. This will save time on the collection day. Please note that vehicles cannot be released without this check for each driver.
A copy of two proof of address documents will be needed from the following. You must provide 1 x Primary Proof of Address and 1 x Secondary Proof of Address or 2 x Primary Proof of Address.
Council Tax can be the latest annual bill but any other document must be dated within 90 days of the hire date.
Primary Proof of Address
Broadband / Landline Bill
Council Tax Bill
Credit Card Bill / Statement
HMRC Self Assessment / Tax Credit
Secondary Proof of Address
Mobile Phone Bill
Car Finance Statement
We regret that we will not be able to release the vehicle without all of these documents for each driver. It is an insurance requirement.
In addition to the above documents our insurers insist that all drivers:
- have no driving convictions resulting in licence suspension or more than 6 penalty points on the licence;
- have never had insurance declined or renewal refused or special insurance terms imposed as a result of claims experience or have had their insurance cancelled by any motor insurer.
- are not engaged wholly or partly in professional entertainment or professional sports persons.
- are not jockeys or persons connected with racing, gaming industry or press of any sort.
- have not, whilst driving, have been involved in more than one fault accident during the past 3 years.
- are not foreign service personnel other than persons holding a full UK licence for 2 years or more.
Unfortunately we do not currently accept drivers without a UK driving licence.
Points & Disqualifications
- If any driver has had any ban or disqualification then it will need to be referred to the insurers. Cover may not be provided, in which case the hire cannot proceed, or it may be provided but with an increased premium.
- If you have nine points comprised of three x 3 point offences, a £500 additional excess will be required.
- Any single 6 point offence (Code MS90, IN10, CU80, CD and SP offences) then a referral to the insurers will be required.
- Two x 3 point offences or anything less than 6 points can proceed as normal.